There are numerous benefits of sisterhood! When I think about some of the times I have laughed so hard that I have cried or felt a complete sense of joy, it has been in the presence of my girlfriends. In those times, I can let down my guard and just be real. I feel a sense of acceptance, trust and absolved from needing to explain myself.
Sisterhood is an emotional bond between women, not always related by blood. In a sisterhood, female friends tell the truth, honor each other, and love each other like sisters. And when you have this type of bond, there are a countless number of benefits. They are as follows:
- A sisterhood can have a calming effect. Female bonding helps to manage stress. When women are stressed, we tend to respond by reaching out to other women for support. In doing so our brains actually release a feel good chemical, oxytocin. This chemical instantly reduces anxiety, improves focus and concentration and encourages us to bond.
- A sisterhood helps us to live better. Studies have found that as women age, we are less likely to develop physical impairments and more likely to lead a joyful life when we have lots of friends. Therefore, not having close friends or confidants is as detrimental to our health as smoking or carrying extra weight.
- A sisterhood cures loneliness. Loneliness can increase blood pressure, stress, depression, and anxiety. It has also been connected with a decrease in exercise and an increase in caloric consumption. When we feel connected to other people, we are buffering ourselves against the detrimental effects of loneliness.
- A sisterhood gives us a sense of belonging and connection. Women are hardwired to crave close friendships. Close girlfriends provide us with a “social family” and help us to feel safe, loved and accepted for who we are.
- A sisterhood can make us unstoppable. When women work together, we succeed together. A powerful quote that I love says, “Girls compete with each other. Women empower each other.”
A powerful sisterhood is based on how you feel NOT the number of girlfriends that you have. Real sisterhood impacts who we are. Real sisterhood provides you with peace in the midst of a storm. Real sisterhood challenges you to be your best. Real sisterhood is based on trust, loyalty, forgiveness, compassion and dependability. Make it a goal to be a better friend and to value your meaningful female friendships. It is good for your mind, body and soul.